Senior Backend Engineer
Full time position at ZEPPELIN Inc. Tokyo, Japan
Senior Backend Engineer The Vision
Our team believes that technology can give voice to stories around the world. We empower to do what no startup has ever done – tell the stories you fall in love with and stay up watching at a scale that the industry has never seen.
Grow the user base to a million active users and provide an uninterrupted lightning fast video streaming service. How to host the largest volume of user generated original content in Japan and ensure that content continues to elicit joy in our members’ community. We are working with content creators to find a way forward in the unknown.
How can you help?
We are looking for a Ruby engineer to help us build reliable, flexible applications that help our startup and operations team adapt to a fast-paced environment.
If you have an eye for software design, a mind for asking questions and synthesizing information into actionable work, and the personality to want to learn from and teach your teammates - we would like to talk to you.
In this role you will...
● Be product-focused, driving the design, development, and implementation in order to turn a user’s pain-points into simple and elegant solutions that are loved.
● Continuously improve, we are never satisfied with the state of things, it can always be better.
● Partner and communicate effectively with teams you work with (we are multilingual, our developers and designers speak Japanese, English, Spanish, and Malay)
● Take full ownership of a product or feature from concept to launch.
● Test the software you write to ensure we deliver the highest quality products.
● You have professional experience with Ruby.
● You have professional experience using SQL and no-SQL
● You have experience designing and developing integration solutions using Web
Services (RESTful APIs).
● You have a successful track record of delivering quality results in complex, collaborative
● You have a deep understanding of cloud architecture and application deployment.
● You have the ability to collaborate with users and business partners in order to
● You have the ability to straddle programming languages and platforms with ease.
Extra credit if...
● You've created a Ruby Gem.
● You can explain video codec to us.
● You can explain the GIL to us.
● You are an open-source contributor.
● You have or actively use video apps like IGTV, Tik Tok, Snow, Snapchat, YouTube, etc.
● You have Python experience (for the many many bots).
● You have used firebase in a project.
● You can collect and analyze data
● You have a favorite testing framework... hint it’s RSpec.
If you would like to learn more about our organization and culture have a look at our website. In addition follow us on Instagramand Twitter. We also publish a light novel about Japanese work culture and why we're different.